1718 or 1719
ink on parchment; 108 leaves (20.6 x 15 cm.); Ashkenazi square Hebrew characters
Naftali Hirsh of Szydlow
This large Psalter, with its ornamental naive folk-art title page (and the customary depiction of David at his harp), was copied by Naftali Hirsh of Szydlow in Prague. It includes prayers before and after reading of the Psalms. This manuscript (described by Michael Wilensky in “A Psalm-Ms. and Its Entries” Hebrew Union College Annual 12-13 (1937/1938): 559-572) is notable for its incorporation of older traditions as well as the colophon’s mention of the New Synagogue (Neuschul) and the Grosshof Synagogue in Prague (leaf 106v). The script and capitals resemble certain Oppenheimer manuscripts in Oxford.